Friday 2 March 2012

Like Minded People

To start off, I guess I should let you know exactly where I am, what I am doing, and why I am here.

Part One: Why I am Here!

From the beginning of my Freshman year in college, I have been researching and scouting out quality humanitarian aid programs to volunteer for on a long-term basis. After being referred by my lovely mother to an amazing woman by the name of Sally Read, I was introduced to Rising Star Outreach, a non-profit in India created to aid the leprosy affected. I was really touched merely by hearing about the mission of the organization, and decided to sit on the idea for a couple of days and decide if this was the project that was meant for me. One of the only hesitations that I had, was that if I came, I would have to leave dance (aka life) behind for four months. Literally two days later..... Just an average summer day working at my favorite little boutique in Bountiful, Hip and Humble..... This beautiful, pixie faced girl in a gorgeous white dress came into the store. I gave her a compliment on the dress, to which she replied, "Oh, thanks! I got it in India..." and the conversation got rolling pretty quick. We discovered that we had a lot in common. After telling her that I thought I wanted to double major in dance and nursing, or dance and human development, she said, "K, this may sound totally weird, but I think you need to volunteer for Rising Star Outreach as a Promethean Spark dancer. That's what I did when I went to India!" ..... Funny thing that I just happened to discover Rising Star two days earlier.... And funny thing that my one question had just been answered...... Puzzle piece.... CLICK! After finding out that I could go to India for four months, teach dance, tutor at the school, and assist in mobile medical trips to the leprosy colonies, I was like okay...... Sign me up! Isn't it funny how the universe brings like minded people together? Things literally just fell into place after that. One little thing after another. I was interviewed and selected as a long term volunteer, and before I knew it, I was sitting at the airport ready to begin 31 hours and 8,743 miles of travel with luggage, passport, and plane ticket in hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment