Monday 9 April 2012

The Beauty Within

At church yesterday, my branch in Chennai was able to watch the rebroadcasting of General Conference. While listening, I was introduced to a beautiful thought given by Russell M. Nelson. He said:

''A perfect body is not required to achieve a divine destiny. In fact, some of the sweetest spirits are housed in frail frames"

After working with some of the most destitute, frail, and physically damaged people in India for the last four months, I couldn't help but to whole heartedly agree with his words. They actually reminded me of a really special experience that I had in the colonies just last month! On one of my typical Monday medical days, we decided to make a stop in Bharatapuram, the largest leprosy colony that Rising Star gives medical assistance to. One of the small businesses that Rising Star has helped their patients develop in Bharatapuram is an "art studio" of sorts for the elderly community members. The colony members were given supplies and instruction from a European painter and now very successfully display and sell their works in exhibits throughout India, Europe, and the U.S. 

When we entered the run down little building where all of the elderly patients were hard at work, I was absolutely stunned at the beauty that they were creating. It was awe inspiring to see their patience, precision, and skill despite the challenge of working with crippled and mangled hands. After searching through literally PILES of gorgeous art work, I found the piece that called my name! A very simple number, but it was so bright and beautiful. I was thrilled to hear that my artist was in the studio that day, working on a new piece, so I went into the back room to meet her. I rounded the corner, and there she was, a very old little woman hunched down on the floor, squinting through her cute little glasses and clutching a paint brush with her tiny hand. When she saw that I had purchased one of her pieces, she looked so excited. I sat down with her and looked into her eyes and told her that I loved her work and thought it was so beautiful! I know she couldn't understand a word of what I was saying, but she just looked back at me, and in that moment, I just felt an overwhelming love for this woman. I probably don't even know half of what she has had to overcome in her life, aside from the challenge of living in complete poverty with a disabled body, but despite all that, I felt the beauty of her sweet spirit as I sat with her, and I saw it in her artwork. I was choking back tears as I left, so humbled and inspired by the experience. I hope like this woman, that I can strive to pull out the beauty in life, and in myself no matter what comes my way!  

The outside of the Bharatapuram art studio.

The tools of the artists.

Hands.

This man was so cute! He told us that painting helped to take away his pain on the inside.

Steaddddyyyyy...

Love the circular theme here! It is supposed to represent God and the creation of the world! Pretty cool!

Open ulcer on the thumb.. Still goin strong!

My piece and the beautiful hands of its creator!

My artist!



1 comment:

  1. Wow. This was beautiful, Kelli! Your words and the pictures together really touched me. The tears are rolling!

    ReplyDelete