Monday 2 April 2012

Heal the World, Leaders for Life!

As previously mentioned, I have the very best job at Rising Star.... the Promethean Spark dance master! (Don't you love the prestigious title?) Aside from teaching my daily classes, one of my primary responsibilities is to direct the Life Dance Troupe, our school company, which consists of some of the most incredible students at Rising Star. I think I would go so far as to say that being a member of Life Dance is basically the most coveted position in the school among students. In rehearsals, we focus on developing life and leadership skills through the performing arts. Our motto that we close practice with every day is: Heal the World, Leaders for Life! Our mission as a company is to eliminate the social stigma against leprosy and the "untouchable" caste, and to share a message of love and light with the world.

Every single one of these darling kids truly is an inspiration to me, and I have no doubt that they will be the future leaders of India. When I took over as dance master in the beginning of February, I asked each of the Life Dance members to write down a dance goal and a life goal for me, so I could do everything in my power to help them work toward and accomplish these goals. Realizing that they have come from leprosy colonies, some of them begging on the streets for food or money, being totally rejected by society, and seeing a glimpse of the transformation of their lives has been such a miracle. Seeing their ambition and watching them catch a vision for their own potential has brought me to tears countless times.

So, allow me to introduce you to my 19 AMAZING kiddos!!!!


Ashok-- Life Dance President
Dance Goal: I want be strong.
Life Goal: I want be dancer.

This boy has just about as much sass and attitude as you can get from a 7th standard boy, and he straight up kills it every time he steps on to the dance floor. At first, we really butted heads, but after getting to know each other a lot better, we've actually become really close. I've learned how to deal with his sass (and gotten to know his totally hilarious/goofy side when he lets up on the cool kid act) and he's learned how to deal with my high expectations. He is one of my most naturally gifted dancers and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starring as a lead dancer in some Tamil music video in the future....


Vinodhini-- Life Dance Vice-President
Dance Goal: I like to do my splits better and turns.
Life Goal: I want to become a dancer.

This girl, aside from being absolutely BEAUTIFUL on the outside, has a lot of spunk and is such a good worker. She is super smart and picks up on choreography and new technique so fast! Watching her dance the classical Indian welcome dance (Bharatanatyam) has definitely become a favorite of mine over the semester. I love hearing her laugh and say my name in that adorable accent... Kyyyyeeeelllllllli!


Malavika-- Life Dance Librarian
Dance Goal: I want to do good splits, face expression, and pirouettes.
Life Goal: In my life I want to be on time in all things, dance and study well.

Malavika is seriously a little angel. She is one of those beautiful, shy, quiet students that is always listening, observing, and applying every correction to herself in class. I can count on Malavika to do every job I give her very thoroughly and precisely, and I know she won't ever let me down. She is the very top of her class in every subject and has nothing less than A+ expectations. It wasn't hard to pick her out as a member of the Presidency from day 1.


Theresa-- Life Dance Librarian
Dance Goal: I like to do splits all three sides.
Life Goal: I will become a doctor.

Theresa is as sweet as sugar! She is also very dedicated, and focused in class. In her own sweet, yet effective way that nobody else could duplicate, she helps me to keep the other kids in line when they get a little chatty or crazy. She is such a great example to all of the other dancers. She is my little flexi girl and has almost all of her splits! She was the very first one to join the Life Dance splits club that we started two weeks ago!


Megala-- Life Dance Secretary
Dance Goal: Always having a good attitude and dancing all the steps very well.
Life Goal: To become I.A.S. (Indian Association Serivce) agent so I can always be helping others to have good life.

Megala's description of herself: "You know, sometimes people say that I am very quiet and I don't say much like that.... But you know, once I start talking to you I just talk, talk, talk! I'm crazy and I just don't stop!" My first month or so, this quiet, meticulously detailed secretary was all that I saw. After getting to know Megala, giggling with her and making jokes is one of my favorite past times. She speaks beautiful English and has picked up on some pretty hilarious American humor. She is a wonderful student and leader at the school and along with her dance skills, has a knack for art and poetry.


Deepenraj-- Life Dance Technical Supervisor
Dance Goal: I like to learn be strong.
Life Goal: I whant to be a draft.

This boy has a heart of gold and is one of the most creative minds on Life Dance. He always has an opinion, or idea to share and loves to help come up with solutions to problems. He is very helpful, and does a wonderful job with his new promotion to the position of technical supervisor. I'd say He and Ashok are probably Michael Jackson's number one fans, and they LOVE to choreograph to his music. Watching his choreography to MJ's Smooth Criminal was one of the highlights of this last weekend. He also has an impressive appetite for peanut butter.


Vimalkanth-- Life Dance Troupe
Dance Goal: Carwheeles.
Life Goal: Music director and mechanical engineer.

One of my very first impressions of Vimal was his astonishing ability to move his hips. One of the Rising Star boys' favorite dance moves is the classic hip thrust, and I've gotta say... This kid's got it down. He is also one that I deem gifted. He is a fantastic dancer! Sometimes he's a little bit of a punk, and likes to wander into rehearsal five or ten minutes late, or "forget" to come (aka he was having to much fun at playtime) but it's almost impossible to say mad at him. He's such a charmer! He frequently refers to me as his wife, lover, love bird.... you name it. And he loves to blow me kisses every time we see each other on campus. On February 14th, he picked a bouquet of wild flowers for me and wrote me a poem in his cute, developing english asking me to be his Valentine. Probably my favorite Valentine's Day thus far.



Soniya-- Life Dance II (our junior company prepping the kids for Life Dance)
Dance Goal: I like to do spotting better. I like to do my splits good.
Life Goal: I want to became a doctor.

Soniya is in 9th standard and is something of a mother figure in Life Dance. She is so grown up and so sweet and sensitive to everyone. She loves to make jokes and is best friends with everybody. She is one of those kids that is just "the glue", as my mom would put it, that keeps all of us together. She has only been in Life Dance for a short time, but has worked so hard. She is one of those students that you can see growing and improving every day. 



M. Vignesh-- Life Dance Troupe
Dance Goal: back handspring. pirouettes and leaps.
Life Goal: I want to become a police and get the bad guy.

Vignesh is an amazing dancer, and loves to tumble. I teach his biology class in the school, and he is a really practical thinker. Earlier in the semester, he had some behavioral and scholastic issues. He got behind in classes and got one too many absences in Life Dance and one too many X's (The school has a card sign of system where you can earn points and rewards for good behavior and can get X's and punishment for bad behavior) and was temporarily dismissed from the company. After whipping his butt back into gear and being AWESOME for a little over a month, we just took him back. I've been really happy to see a change in his attitude and school work and I'm stoked to have his talent back on the company.


C. Vignesh-- Life Dance II
Dance Goal: I want to be split to do good.
Life Goal: I want to be a (crossed out police) dancer.

C is such a sweetheart. He is very reliable and consistent. He is also a techie and loves to be on my iPod at every possible moment. He is also really smart and just gets how things work, a lot like my brother Nick. If I need somebody to help he is always there in a heartbeat. Carrying the speakers for me, holding my bag, getting the Promethean Spark warm-up playlist ready, running to call the other boys to come to Life Dance. Just a little gem!



Manodhaya-- Life Dance Troupe
Dance Goal: I want to do pirouettes perfectly and to be a good dancer.
Life Goal: I don't want to give up in my life. I want to achieve my aim as an astronaut. 

Manodhaya is such a graceful girl with a truly captivating and unique beauty. She conducts herself with such poise and is always kind, helpful, and compassionate. In my opinion, easily one of the most gorgeous girls on campus, but still so humble! She is alway working her hardest and you can see the results. She has improved SO much in the short time I've been able to work with her, and I can see her becoming really talented not only in dance, but in any aspect of her life that she chooses to work at. 



Joseph Stalin (yes, this is his REAL name)-- Life Dance Troupe
Dance Goal: Splits, pirouettes, on time to life dance.
Life Goal: In all my classes I will try to get 1st rank in all the annual exams. I want to learn more about the computer to be a software engineer.

Joseph LOVES to dance. And I love to watch him. He is incredibly talented and has a dedication and work ethic that surpass possibly everyone else on the company. He loves a challenge in any aspect of life and is constantly thirsty for more. More technique, more strength, more choreography, more tricks. My first couple months, he would ask me to help him stretch every day after rehearsal so that he could get his middle splits. In three months, I've seen him go down maybe seven inches and he is just about there! He is also an amazing student at the school and so many kids look up to him. He speaks fantastic English and is something of an entrepreneur among the hostel boys.


Sarenraj-- Life Dance II
Dance Goal: I want to do split full.
Life Goal: Study very well.

Saren is a very new addition to Life Dance. He had been at Rising Star since he was about 5, and was selected last year to be a part of the Life Dance II right before his mother got offended by a staff member and took him out of school and wouldn't let him return. After fighting for about a year, we finally got him back about 6 weeks ago. The kids were all so stoked to have him back and welcomed him right in like a brother. He is still adjusting and learning all about how we work in Life Dance, but he has an enthusiasm for life and an absolutely contagious energy and smile.



Arun-- Life Dance II
Dance Goal: I want to be strong and focus.
Life Goal: I want to became an I.P.S. officer.

Arun's laugh is SO addicting. I would stay that is one of his most defining qualities. He's a little bit like Vimal when it comes to responsibility and work ethic, but he also is really tough to stay serious with. He just cracks me up. He's a really strong boy! In fact, he almost beat me in an arm wrestle.... Pretty embarassing! The other boys in 6th really look up to him and he is going to grow up to be a really great kid.



Ambiga-- Life Dance II
Dance Goal: Splits, face concentration.
Life Goal: Dancer, doctor.

When I first arrived at Rising Star and was assisting Shaun Parry (founder and president of Promethean Spark) with the dance classes and teaching a lot more English in the school, I had the privilege of tutoring Amibga every morning after assembly. She always greeted me with a gorgeous smile and fresh enthusiasm every day. Even though she is in 8th standard reading English at a 1st standard level, she gave it her all every day and improved SO much in the time we had together. Because of this early connection, she has had a really special place in my heart from the beginning. Her attitudes in the school reflect exactly how she performs at dance. Tough, ambitious, and ready to roll. She shocked me on Tamil speech day when she just dominated the debate portion. Even though her English is lacking, she is easily one of the very best Tamil writers, and speakers in the school.


Krishnamoorthy-- Life Dance Troupe

Dance Goal: To get better in split. To get stronger and be focused.
Life Goal: Visit America and other country. To became a great doctor.

Krishnamoorthy is basically a genius. He has been moved up two grades and is still dominating in 9th standard. He is an incredible example not only in Life Dance, but in the school, and in the hostel. He is very sensitive and always makes sure that all the boys are taken care of. He has great manners and great work ethic, but he can also have a blast and party when the time is right! One of my favorite things about Krishna is his dynamic, expressive little face. He is totally an open book and some of his looks just kill me.


Savitha- Life Dance II
Dance Goal: I want to do leg open splits and became a good dancer.
Life Goal: I want to became a doctor and help to poor people.

Savitha is my cute little munchkin. Her high little voice and cute nose will be in my memory forever! She is the youngest girl on life dance but is easily up to parr with the others. She is a natural mover and I can't wait to start working with her every day once she makes her way up to Life Dance I. She loves to work on her cartwheels and splits with me and is excited to learn more technique.


Vijayalakshmi-- Life Dance Troupe
Dance Goal: I like to do splits and lots of dances. To be on time in all. To be a dancer and ballet.
Life Goal: I want to become a I.A.S. Indian Association Service and help the people.

Called Buji by most, I like to call her my Buji Baby. This girl reminds me SO much of my little sister, Amber. She has a heart full of love and is so ready to share it. I am constantly getting my face kissed all over by Buji, even after rehearsal when we are both really sweaty and gross. She loves hugs and kisses and always whispers in my ear, "You're my faaaaaavorite one!" or "You are my BEST friend!" Not only is she incredibly loving, but she is another star student. Amazing dancer. Always on the front row, bubbly, bouncy and smiling. She is such a blast to have around! Her favorite song is Super Bass my Nicki Minaj.


Shalini-- Life Dance Troupe
Dance Goal: Leaps.
Life Goal: IAS officer, doctor.

Shalini is tiny. I swear she weighs like 40 pounds.... When she leaps she just FLIES! It is the craziest thing. She is super dedicated and SO responsible. When we needed a last minute fill in for the welcome dance about 2 weeks ago, I asked the girls if anybody thought they could learn it in one day. She raised her hand to tell me that she had the whole dance memorized. The next day she performed for a volunteer session... Flawless! Such a cute, cute girl. She really loves dance and works so hard. She is so ambitious and also has a heart of gold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment