Thursday 19 April 2012

A Day with the Medical Team

My very first time going to visit the colonies with the medical team way back in December was definitely an experience to remember. I was nervous and to be honest, a little grossed out by what I saw. I had never seen leprosy or any serious medical condition like it before, and it was a totally new concept to me. I was assigned to the oiling/foot massage station and my very first patient had open ulcers and his skin was literally falling off all over my gloves. At first, I was less than enthused to be doing the work, but after letting the reality of the situation soak in for a minute or two, it hit me. This wasn't about me. This was about them. They have had to go through a whole lot more that I could ever imagine, and the very least I could do was help them and love them once a week. Going to the colonies soon became something I looked forward to each week. It has been so enjoyable for me to be able to help heal these people and to clean and treat their wounds. Now that I am the Promethean Spark dance master, I get to go twice a week and I visit four or five colonies each month. Even though I am going to help them, I leave every single time feeling like I am the one who has been healed.

Here's a little peak into the daily workings of our medical trips.......




My very best friend in the colonies is Veila. She is 22 years old, and has an arranged marriage to her 35 year old uncle (This is pretty common in India, not many people have "love marriages"), who is a painter. She has two children, ages 4 and 2 (pictured above). They live in Walagabad, one of our most destitute colonies. After all of the medical is done on Fridays, we love to go into her teeny, one room home and dance to the radio.

I would say this is a good example of the average sized home in Walagabad.

SO pretty right?! I swear she could be an Indian model!


When coming into the clinic, the patients first pick up the file of their records and go to Dr. Suguna for a general check-up.

Then, they proceed to the blood pressure and blood sugar station. Pricking fingers was a lot easier that I expected it to be!

Next, we remove the old bandages and see what we have to work with.

We wash the feet and affected areas to sterilize and disinfect.

We cut fingernails.....

And toenails......

As you can see, the cutting was a frequent job of mine..... You wouldn't believe some of the things I've braved with this handy dandy tool.

Then comes the best part: Oil and foot massage for the dry skin!

After that, we cut away the dead, diseased skin around the ulcers.


Then medicate, and re-bandage! 

After the tough part's over, the patients head to the nurses, Nithya and Sharmila, for their medication and bandages for self care.

Here is Veila!!! My beautiful best friend from Walagabad.


More patients!

Sometimes the disease attacks the eyes and the noses. So sad!

Beauty. :)

Helping out in the colonies has truly been such and eye-opening experience for me. It has taught me so much about about loving, helping, and healing others. It has given me such a real perspective and grasp for what is important in life, and has made me SO grateful for the life I have been blessed with. It's going to be pretty tough to say goodbye! 


No comments:

Post a Comment